Q) What is the difference between Hypnobabies and other hypno-birthing classes?
Q) When should I start Hypnobabies Classes?
A) Anytime! Some women take classes early in their pregnancy, and practicing Hypnobabies helps them to be relaxed, comfortable and confident for the rest of their pregnancies. Others start later, at 6 or 7 months, when they know they are ready to devote 30-40 minutes daily to practicing. We recommend that couples begin their Hypnobabies classes no later than 32 weeks into their pregnancies.
Q) Can my Birth Partner come to Hypnobabies Class with me?
A) Yes! We teach the Birth Partner right along with our Hypno-Moms. They learn what hypnosis is, (they experience it in class and get their own Birth Partner’s hypnosis CD, to keep them calm and relaxed about pregnancy and childbirth!), and how to support and help our Hypno-moms during pregnancy, the birthing itself, and even after the baby comes. They participate fully in each class, and with each hypnosis script during practices 3 times each week at home.
Q) Will I be able to move around, and be awake and aware of my body and my baby during my labor, if I use hypnosis?
A) Absolutely! Being in Hypnobabies unique “Eyes-Open Childbirth Hypnosis” is not like being asleep or detached from the sensations of your baby’s birth. You are awake and aware of everything going on around you, and you experience baby’s every movement. You remain deeply in hypnosis, confident and calm, even while moving and changing positions. Your Hypnobabies hypno-anesthesia allows you to experience all the power of childbirth without the discomfort.
Q) Should I take a Hypnobabies group class or do the Home-Study course?
A) Our Hypnobabies Home-Study Course for Expectant Mothers is being used with great success by thousands of mothers all over the world; anywhere English is spoken. It contains all of the basic Hypnobabies natural childbirth curriculum, hypnosis scripts and cues, but we suggest that anyone who lives near one of our instructors take our Hypnobabies Childbirth Hypnosis group class with a certified Hypnobabies Instructor (HCHI).
The benefits of attending a group Hypnobabies Class include:
- More detailed information on every subject
- Your questions answered by our instructors who are knowledgeable about childbirth, and trained in hypnosis
- Additional handouts
- 6 Hypnobabies scripts in a booklet for use in daily Hypnobabies practice
- Demonstrations of all Hypnobabies hypnosis techniques
- Depth assessment of each student’s hypnosis levels by the Hypnobabies instructor
- Phone and/or email consultations with and support from your Hypnobabies Instructor as needed
- Prenatal exercise demonstration and practice
- Hands-on training for Birth Partners, who receive a “Birth Partner’s Guide” booklet for use during birthing, and the Birth Partner’s “Relax & Feel Confident” hypnosis CD
- In-depth explanations, demonstrations and practice of the “Abdominal Lift & Tuck” to avoid back labor and to encourage a posterior baby to turn
- Optimal Fetal Positioning explanations and demonstrations to prevent posterior presentation
- A Birth Rehearsal in Class # 6, which is invaluable for helping each Hypno-Mom fully understand and experience their Hypnobabies techniques in a simulated birthing scenario; complete with Birth Balls, changing positions, walking etc. The Birth Rehearsal is also great practice for the Birth Partner to use their deepening cues and other techniques that help the mom so wonderfully during labor. This helps build the confidence level of Mom and the Birth Partner tremendously!
- Detailed New Mother & Baby Care information, which includes information about postpartum care, new baby care, breastfeeding, bonding and more!
And… from our VP Carole Thorpe:
“I would add FUN!!! A lot of kidding and just plain silliness happens in my Hypnobabies classes. Camaraderie is not to be underestimated. Generally, I have noticed that some of the birth partners show up to Class One and exhibit the body language/attitude of 'OHMIGOSH! …what has my partner gotten me into now?!' The classroom setting, and the community that develops with other couples, helps them to see that they are not alone in this 'different' way to help their wife have their baby. It is helpful to hypno-dads/birth partners to see that Hypnobabies can be beautiful and effective, and also make childbirth enjoyable for everyone.”